September 29th and 30th and October 1st: Block out these days on you calendar for the New Mexico Watershed and Dam Owners Coalition Fall Workshop, Conference, and General Membership Meeting that will be held at the Raton Convention Center, Raton, New Mexico. There will be plenty of hotel accommodations in Raton available for attendees! The theme for this NMWDOC workshop will be Healthy Watersheds, Safe Dam O&M, and How to Fund It.
Wednesday Workshop (September 29th): Dam Maintenance 101, Classroom and Field Workshop with Chuck Caruso.
Thursday Morning Topics (September 30th) will include:
- State of New Mexico Dams Address
- State of New Mexico Watersheds and Forests
- New Mexico Legislature Update
- Update from the National Watershed Coalition
- Federal Partners Discussion including NRCS
- Colorado Lessons Learned
Thursday Afternoon: After Noon, there will be an option of touring lovely Raton or attending presentations and discussion on funding watershed and dam projects, and O&M. Thursday afternoon topics will include:
- Managing Project Funding and The Funders – Making Multiple Source Fund Management work
- NRCS Watershed Project funding opportunities
- NM Forest and Watershed Fund
- Hazard Mitigation Funding
- Working with your legislature for capital outlay requests
- Funding projects through the Water Trust Board
- NMWDOC ideas for state O&M/Rehab funding
Friday (October 1st) will start with a presentation on CO-NM REPS: The Vision and moving forward.
Continuing Friday Morning, there will be breakout sessions with Technical and Non-Technical programs covering topics such as:
- Update on the Rio Grande Water Fund
- Watershed Initiatives in the Hatch and Mesilla Valleys
- Watershed Projects and Restoration Techniques
- Flood Control with a Twist, Sustainability and Climate Change
- Cutting edge watershed and 2D hydraulic modeling
- Dam Breach Modeling
- Other technical presentations and 1 hour of Engineering Ethics
We will end with a General Meeting during Friday lunch.
Registration and Reservation details will be provided in the near future, so stay tuned!